Friday, August 3, 2012

Thief of Thieves #7

Written by Robert Kirkman and Nick Spencer
Art by Shawn Martinbrough

I always love that moment in a good heist movie where the perpetrators sit down and explain what all went on off-screen, to show how the audience, like the police, were chasing the wrong thing, or were seeing events from the wrong angle.  Kirkman and Spencer pull off that same moment in this issue, as Redmond explains to his assistant the secrets behind his supposed 'snitching' out of his peers.

This is a masterful issue, showing Redmond to be as smart as we've been told he is since the series began, and showing the FBI Agent who has become obsessed with him as the victim of her own hubris.  Everything here is very nicely balanced, and Shawn Martinbrough does a great job of tying it all together visually.

I know that with the next issue, James Asmus is coming on board as the writer, and continuing with a new story arc.  I'm of mixed feelings about that - this issue ends so well, that I kind of feel like this would be the right place to finish the series.  I'm definitely on board to keep buying the book, but I worry that, like too many comics series, sometimes people don't know when to just finish their story and move on (like Fables).  I would hate to see this series end up in the same predicament.

No comments: